Wednesday 4 April 2012

HOW HIGH CAN A RABBITT JUMP!!!








This is a question I asked the man at the local garden centre a couple of weeks ago!


You see....
I love the little critters

Honest I do!


I love to see them in the back field playing around

Even on the back lawn ...eating the grass

It's when they decide to come into my garden to forage that I get......

Now....let me think of a word.......

INCENSED!!!

I'm not sure that's strong enough!



I'm sorry if I'm offending you who love rabbits...

What I'm trying to do is find a middle line..
hence the question!



I haven't managed to do much in the garden for the last few years
and what I have done is mainly  from a wheelchair

It's really lovely with the raised beds that we put in when we built the house

I can manage much better




This picture was taken after I'd been to the garden centre
before I had finished and tidied it up

But I thought it was looking good

********************

That was before the bunnies decided I had provided them with a special treat!

Everytime the flowers grew back on the pansies
or the leaves on the hebe

They were there again!!

I don't have any pictures as I was so upset


************************* 

So.......now......

I'm in prevention mode

Can't do anything about those dang rabbits

 I need to see what I can do!


******************


Last year I bought a pure white everlasting sweet pea that
I thought would look lovely growing up the trellis


I brought it home, hid it behind some pots to protect it and...when I went to plant it the next day....they had nibbled it at the roots...not only that...
the rabbit was...
still there!!!

Mind you it made a hasty exit!

I planted it anyway (last summer) and a couple of weeks ago or so.....
 a couple of fresh shoots.....
how could I protect it?








I decided to cut the ends off a money box
 that I had bought for one of my grandchildren
and surround it with mesh and sticks
so the rabbit couldn't dislodge it



My husband asked why I had a tin with a £50 note on it in the garden....
 I told him I was trying to grow some money! 





As the plant grew I added another tin...only ones I could find were from
my grandson's baby milk!

I have added more and more and...so far.... it's OK






I think I'll keep them at the bottom even when the plant gets high enough for them not to eat!

How high can a rabbit jump??


The other thing I noticed is that I have some high pots under the garden room window and they don't seem to have got in them.

Trouble is....
that ...when I sit in the garden room...

I can't see them or the colour! 

I have
spent a lot of time, when in plaster,

Sitting there with my leg up.

************

I decided to buy some new high pots that I would put on the other side of the patio where I could see them.

Hence the question!!

How High Can a Rabbit Jump?

He didn't know

I bought the pots

He delivered.......and placed them where I told him.




I sat in the garden room

and said...'move them a little to the left'
'no... bring them forward a little...
etc...etc'
as one does!





It looked just right...

so I filled them ready to put in some nice colourfull plants....

********************


A friend called and I was explaining my stratedgy to her...

she pointed to my raised borders...



AND SHE SAID




HOW FAR CAN A RABBIT JUMP!!

........................????


I am linking with


 

The Thrifty Groove


13 comments:

  1. Not exactly sure, but probably about 2ft. We have slowly fenced round our veg plots and sunk the wire mesh a foot down into the ground to stop them from digging under too, which is their first choice. The fences at least 3ft high and so far, so good. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, You've got yourself quite a dilemma I'd say. We have wild bunnies here to that have started coming into the yard and while they're adorable to look at and watch, I have seen them playing "leap frog" with one jumping probably three feet high. Now I too am worried a bit about planting my herbs-such as basil for fear they will eat it. Of course once we get a new puppy maybe they won't come in the yard. BTW, what type of accident did you have that broke both your legs and has kept you in a wheelchair?
    Have a great evening. Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I do feel your frustration. I have had all out wars with squirrels in my garden. I don't mind sharing - but they take everything *argh* Good luck keeping the bunnies at bay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh we used to have them here too!! I know how aggravating they can be. Love your gardens. They are gorgeous!!! I hurt my shoulder this year and just don't know how much I am going to be able to do but I am gonna try. Love your blog too!!! Thanks for the prayers. Prayers going up on this end for your daughter and your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a gardener but I loved your post. Thanks for visiting me and I have joined you also. blogging is so much fun. We laugh with you, cry with you, rejoice with you and pray for you. Welcome to blogland

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to know the answer to the question about the bunnies. 8~)
    I love the header photo on your blog...beautiful!
    Your raised beds look nice...I like them...framed in brick.
    We are trying to figure out the best material to use for raised beds growing vegetables, that won't leech the soil.
    Welcoming you to the "blogging world". 8~)
    Take care,
    Nnacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flower garden! Now you have me wondering..just how high can a bunny jump? :) I think you will like blogging alot...you will make such sweet friendships, to pray you through the tough stuff...and celebrate the fun stuff! Very nice to meet you! Thank you for encouraging me to keep writing!
    Have a blessed day.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello again I enjoyed reading about the rabbits - I have that same problem but not in my garden but at the cemetery. We put flowers on my father's and brother's grave and if you go the next day they have been nibbled!!!!
    Love the flower garden.
    Thanks for visiting my blog - I'm not sure what happened to my followers list and joining thingy but I think it is back now. Wishing you a very Happy and Peaceful Easter. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for finding my blog and signing up as a follower. Now I found you back and I am your newest follower. You are a hoot (that's a good thing in this house). If you like rabbits so much pop by my blog today and see two of them up close and personal.....I think you will really LIKE mine~ Nice to meet you- Hugs-Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, thank you for the lovely comments you left on my blog. No rabbit problems here fortunately! My Mum used to be bothered by rabbits but having a cat seemed to keep them at bay, might be rather a drastic option -we've had more mice in the house since getting a cat than we did before, though they're usually dead now!
    As to taking close-ups I just make sure I use the macro option on my camera. It's just a compact camera but seems to give good results. Have you tried that with yours?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rabbits, squirrels, deer ... it seems lots of folks get frustrated when it comes to their gardens and the wild things that eat them up. You've certainly come up with a clever way to deter them. Have a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. My rabbit can jump over a 4 foot fence without touching it and he is only 17 weeks old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post! I can relate to the little critter invasions into our gardens as well. I love your creative solutions. Thank you for joining TTF this week and have a wonderful weekend and a very happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas!