Tuesday 24 April 2012

Devon Again


 

This is our second full day here in Devon



We spent most of it 
oooooo-ing
and
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh-ing
as we saw one beautiful view after another!
It was a glorious day which really helped.


Unfortunately there weren't many places to pull in and take photos
so I'll just show a few of the ones that
I was able to take
and hope that you enjoy as much as we did









One place that made us stop 
and be quiet 
was at Torcross
where a Sherman Tank
bears witness to the dreadful loss of life
of USA servicemen at Slapton Sands
in 1944.


749 men died and the tank is one
that was retrieved from the sea



We stood and looked over the sands
and found it hard to try to
imagine what it must have been like!

Seeing the beauty today
through the grief for yesterday



The road with water on either side!


this photo opportunity 
grasped whilst waiting for the traffic lights to change.
What a shame that there are no more places to stop and enjoy the view!



Our day finished with a quick stop in Dartmouth
before heading back to Torquay

11 comments:

  1. Hi , It's me Susie from She Junks, U.S.A. I came to visit your site. I love what I've seen so far. I too love to travel and just take in the beauty that God has created for us. Enjoy yourselves. Smiles to you, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip you are enjoying. I wish there were more places for you to pull off and just enjoy the sights. That tank bears witness to some sad history. That sort of thing always chokes me up a bit.

    I see Susie found you- You will love having her visit your blog! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joan: What a beautiful trip you had. I'm sorry you couldn't take more pictures, I would have loved to see more. You can't imagine how those beautiful sites could have been, at one time, a war zone. Thanks for sharing with us..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! When Mr. M and I went to England in 2010 we spent a few days in Lyme Regis, and I wish we could have visited Devonshire as well. I loved seeing all the war memorials everywhere we went, although they brought sad thoughts. It's nice to know that the lost are not forgotten.

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that you have joined my blog. I am so excited to make your acquaintance. I am obsessed with the UK, having toured the country twice: 2001 and 2006. Can't believe that it has been so long ago. My friend and I, college English professors, are hoping to return to the UK in the coming months. Whales is on our list, so I am so excited to be able to explore your blog. Thank you becoming my 47th follower. ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have just discovered your blog - my family were originally from Pembrokeshire and Dad now lives in Ceredigion, where I grew up. His dad worked as a very young boy at Porthgain quarry and I have a photo of him, and the rest of the workforce, there at the quarry face in the very early 1900's. It's lovely to see your photos of 'home' - I often blog about Wales too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining my blog, it's lovely to have a new follower! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My eyeballs about popped out of my head when your banner loaded. My goodness, that's beautiful! And I agree with you about often not having enough places to pull over and enjoy a view!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, what gorgeous photos! I will certainly be visiting your blog often to see the lovely places you visit and where you live! Thanks for sharing,
    Dorothy and Ms. Wilma~~

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous weather.....it's been raining for what seems like weeks here!
    Lovely photos and glad you are having a good holiday.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas!