Wednesday 9 May 2018

May Bank Holiday




An absolutely glorious afternoon
and so my cousin and  decided to spend it at a little bay
Monk's Haven.




The wild garlic
is growing there profusely
and  it is just beginning to scent the air!
I really love it when the flowers
are starting to fade
and the scent of the garlic gets stronger and stronger.



Apparently chefs love it as it's flavour 
isn't as strong as the usual variety!



The bluebells are also starting to open
and, as you look up through the trees there is
a blue haze amongst the ferns!



We stopped near the beach
and sat on a seat that gave a lovely view of the bay.
Unfortunately, the photos of this 
are on my phone
and I have not yet worked out how to get them
onto my computer.......sorry!!



We came across a lovely little bunch of violets
hiding on a grassy bank!


At length,
after wandering along a white-thorn edged path,
we saw the watch tower
standing proudly guarding this part of the coast.




It was a little like......
......the hedge of thorns 
surrounding the bed 
where the Sleeping Beauty lay!??

Too far-fetched???
Can you see the path in the photo?
Well, the path was overgrown with thorns
and I was glad to have a jacket
to protect my arms!



It was years before I discovered this tower.
We always used to turn in the other direction 
when we went for a coast path walk!



Isn't the view from it lovely...
except, of course,
that my cousin decided to get in on the act!!



There are all sorts of ideas.....
about what exactly it is..??
Some say a folly that the monks in the monastery used....
....others that it was a watchtower for the coast.
There's actually a fireplace there...
and lots of windows.
It also looks as if
there was a second floor
as there are steps outside going up
and also you can see, inside, 
where the floorboards would have been positioned.



A pleasant walk in the glorious sunshine!

We walked back down to the beach
and to the car,
past a lovely little church.





As for what's happening with us??
Well, I had a enjoyable coach holiday last week.
We went to the Isle of Wight.
We being some friends and I......
hubby didn't want to come!!



It's a place 
that I have always wanted to visit 
after I saw a programme about Queen Victoria 
and her love of the house and the island!



I will post about it next time 
when I have worked out how to transfer photos 
from my iPhone to this computer.  
In the past I have emailed them to myself 
but there are too many of them this time to do that!!



When we arrived back in town 
a friend gave me a lift home and, unfortunately, 
as I was trying to get into the back of her small car, 
I twisted and hurt something.  
My back's been stiff 
and uncomfortable for a few days 
but today I am in agony and can barely move my left leg.  
I had an emergency appointment with an osteopath this morning who eased it slightly but it's still pretty bad!

I've been  trying to get on with my studies 
as I have an assignment due this week.  
(Luckily I've managed to get an extension of 2 weeks but really don't want to use all of it as my exams are on 7th June!!)

I had planned to study today but, as I'm on lots of painkillers and in a lot of pain, I just cannot do it!  Panic .....panic!

I've been reading all sorts of books since I last wrote.  I took
several Mills and Boon romances on holiday with me and really enjoyed them.


Sarah Morgan's books never disappoint!!  
This one, 
'How to Keep a Secret' 
is a little different from her usual way of writing.
 It tells life stories of several different people whose lives intertwine.  It is so compelling.....
 ....and bewitching 
that I was really sorry to come to the end!!

There is another book that I so enjoyed 
and I haven't stopped telling anyone I meet about it.  
It is 
'A Grand Old Time' 
by Judy Leith.  
Again, I wholeheartedly recommend this book!  
I cried with laughter, 
held my breath as the heroine looked to be getting in over her depth, and grieved as well!  
I believe that it is Judy's first book 
and look forwards to, hopefully, her next!  
It was such a good read 
that I can see it being a tremendous comedy film!!  
I do hope somebody will 'discover' it!!

Right, I think I have wittered on long enough!
Those of you that I failed to return visit...
I am sooo sorry!
The Latin study has really taken up so much of my days.
Only another month to go ,,,,,oh help!!



#agrandoldtime #judyleith #netgalley 
#howtokeepasecret #sarahmorgan #insiders@millsandboon #millsandboon








2 comments:

  1. I will say it again....you take us on the best walks! that tower is fascinating and I totally can see the Sleeping Beauty angle.
    Hope you feel better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love walking and discovering with you . . .
    Imagination flows when you come across I rock stone tower like that!
    Hope discomfort subsides, upward onward to your exams, June 7.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas!