Monday 2 April 2012

THOUGHTS ON KNITTING


Thoughts on Knitting




First of all...thank you so much for the encouraging comments that so many have made. 
I so feel part of a community.
I didn't know that there were so many people who enjoy what I do
I find it quite exciting meeting you all!



I really enjoy knitting and knit my first jumper when I was about 12.  It was in royal blue with a cable down the centre front and back.
I have found over the years that I really enjoy the challenge of knitting the Aran patterns.

As I mentioned in my first blog, my mother was staying with me last week.
 
She, too, is a great knitter and, in the war, used to knit her dresses and coats




I thought that you might enjoy this picture, taken before the war, of Mum with her younger brother.  I think she is wearing one of the many dresses that she knitted!  As an aside, I am scanning a lot of early photos from my mother's photo album and so enjoying learning from her who is whom.  I think all too easily we don't ask and then it becomes too late! 

My mother brought with her last week a mohair cardigan that she had made over 20 years ago and it still looked good on her!!







I really regretted all the mohair jumpers and cardigans that I had knitted and given away.  I wonder how many others feel like I do?!









I'm at 'that stage' again.  You know....you find the wool you really like...find a pattern that will go with it.....knit day and night as if you had a deadline to keep...and then......the dreaded time...you have to make it up!

I don't know if you are like me in this but I can really enjoy knitting and then comes the time to make it up and there is excuse after excuse.  I have been known to give away all my knitting..(and wool is expensive) because I just don't want to do it!  I have even told my aunt (who did all sorts of knitting for Save the Children) that I had been given it for her to sell.... confession time!!  She died not so long ago having raised over £50,000.00, in 20 years,for Save the Children! Mind you it wasn't just my left over wool that made the money but many other things including picking daffodils for sale .....the Local paper printed an article on the 'Daffodil Lady' (I just felt I had to put that in in case you thought that it was all my unfinished articles!)






I have made a promise to myself this year that I will not start another garment until I have sown up the last one I have knitted....very hard when there is so much I want to do!

I started the year finishing off knitting a cardigan in the most delightful shades of blue (Escape by Sirdar)  It was so beautiful and really my colours but I gave it someone who needed it more than I did....besides it gave me the chance to start another! 

I discovered 'Crofter' by Sirdar, in January, and the Fairisle look is very good!  I had started knitting myself a cardigan and then went up to the Midlands to see my mother and she really liked it.  Mum used to make the most delightful true Fairisle jumpers and cardigans when she was more able.  I have one somewhere.  I'll look it out and put it on here sometime.  Anyway, I ended up unripping what I had done and making her a jumper with my wool.  She is really delighted with it.  Someone at her Bridge club asked her if it was authentic and she said ' Well it's hand knitted'


I also made her some fingerless gloves with the remains of the wool....gotta keep her trendy!!

Here she is wearing it when we took a drive, last week, to Caerfai Bay (near St David's)


When I finished that jumper I had new wool to make myself a cardigan but my husband told friends, who came to lunch, that I never knitted him anything(by the way I have and can show the photos to prove it) so I started the jumper above..  I have to say that I have kitted a lot of chunky wool in the past but have really not enjoyed knitting this wool.  Have any of you experienced the same?  When I had finished the back I thought that it  was too long for him so I ripped it out and started again...oh joy!  Now I only have to sew the jumper up and pick up the neckband and I am so longing just to leave it and start on my cardigan....the wool is waiting!...will I finish this one.....?







Which wool do you think I'll choose....the mainly red or the mainly blue?

I just can't wait to start...also I enjoy knitting DK wool!

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Thank you for sharing this passion of you and your mom, such wonderful work. I tried knitting when I was in high school and enjoyed it but now my passion is quilting. Both of my daughters knit and one makes clothing for her four daughters, something they all cherish.
    Have a great week.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noreen,
    thanks for your note. I tried quilting and couldn't get on with it. My daughter's mother in law makes wonderful quilts for all her grandchildren (amongst other things) I think you have to be very patient to do it and also very exact in your measuremets? Not me I'm afraid! Have a great week. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'd choose the one with mainly blue......I've never knit anything Aran before, maybe I should give it a whirl!

    Love the old photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith, Glad you like the old photo. I think it's special.
      Yes, one moment I think knit blue...and the next ...red...perhaps I should take a poll??
      Joan

      Delete
  4. What a lovely photograph of your Mum and Uncle. Amazing that she knitted dresses! I bet they were mainly 4ply back then too, phew! I'd choose the mainly blue yarn too, but either one will look great, I'm sure. I don't mind the sewing up bit, as I am desperate to see if has come out ok! Happy knitting! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comments on the photo. I think it's special! I've just realised, through blogging, that for me, the challenge is the knitting...particularly when it's intricate! I really don't finish things well....my sewing up leaves a lot to be desired. My daughter who sews, knits and crochets is far more careful with her sewing up than I am. Thanks also for chosing the blue....perhaps I'll use that one...just got to finish this other one...... xx

      Delete
  5. Hello, how lovely to meet you :D Thank you for the kind comment over at knitsofacto and the promise to participate. We're passing all the messages of support on to Aussie Annie.

    And ah, the dreaded making up. I will admit I like to knit things as seamlessly as possible ... I find myself thinking I'm a knitter not a seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your note. You have summed it up beautifully!! It takes so long and I could be out in the garden or onto another project. I wonder if my husband would look good if I just pinned the pieces to another jumper? Now..there's a thought.......!

      Delete
  6. Knitting is a gift I wish I had. Tried it once as a teen and have never tried since. I love knit sweaters on toddlers. They are just darn cute. Wonderful that your mother knits also. Fun seeing the old pic. Wish you the best with your project and I think you will pick the blue. Nice to meet you and now I am following.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the visit. I have enjoyed finding your blog also. Welcome to blogland. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello
    lovely scenery in your photos and myself being a plain knitter I think you're so clever doing cables and patterns. love the photo of your Mum & Dad also

    Bridget xo

    ps welcome to blogging

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas!