Tuesday 27 August 2013

Discovered Treasure






I came upon this old blanket box

It is a treasure in itself!
I believe that it's about C18th or earlier.
People padlocked
what was treasure to them....
the word of God
so that nothing could happen to the Bibles
that were very hard to obtain
and even harder to read (for some people!)






What was in it..
I mused!
Like to explore with me
and see??!




Can I see a hint of gold there?



I don't know.....



Yes ...there's definitely gold there...
but 
not golden sovereigns, I fear!

Shall we unpack it?



What do you think?
Interesting??



Lets have a look here...




yes...I remember




I bought this china years ago....




I used  to use it 
when I had people coming for coffee.
Coffee mornings...
do you remember those?




Do they even still have them?
Apart for the annual fund raising coffee morning
in aid of the MacMillan Nurses

Please remember to support the coffee morning
 this September 27th!!



and there's more!


I think I've had enough
and will leave the rest for another day
that's if you would like to see what else is there?




I thought you'd like to see
the jewellery
that my daughter brought me last week



She is a silversmith
with her own hallmark





I loved the ring as soon as I saw it!
It's silver with 9ct gold balls


I have started
knitting a shawl


I've never made one before

I think I've already made a couple of mistakes...
I kept falling asleep over it last night...
I shall soldier on
I don't think that there's much point in starting again because I'll probably make more!!

Thank you so much to all who shared last week
about where they went when they needed to 'settle'
I love to hear what others do
and sometimes
try some of their ideas too!


I finished the last Mandala
I do love the muted colours of the Drops cotton!

Debra at Common Ground
has a 4th Anniversary Giveaway
why not pay her a visit....




This week I'm visiting


and

20 comments:

  1. What a wonderful chest of treasures! I was bowled over by the jewelry your daughter made... did she make the silver chain bracelet too? I *LOVE* it! I have a gold chain bracelet that is similar and I never take it off. That shawl is going to be awesome! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post Dear and thank you for reminding us about the World's Biggest Cofee Morning! (http://coffee.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx#.Uhzfldjl8ls)
    Can't wait to see what else this lovely chest holds!
    No worries about the shawl...We are all the same Dear (I have lost count how many I had to start all over again for one project or another) and great jewelry! You are indeed blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter is very talented! Her jewellery is beautiful. You've also been busy crafting recently. The shawl is a gorgeous colour, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful treasure chest! I'll look forward to seeing more.

    What a talented daughter you have. Beautiful jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my favorite things here are the wonderful jewelry your daughter made, and that wonderful old box, was it handed down in your family?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work, Joan.

    Your daughter's jewelry is beautiful! It looks so delicate!

    Yes, I'm definitely interested in the treasure in the chest!

    xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treasure trove and what neat old dishes. No coffee klatches here anymore. I think that ring is just exquisite. I love it. It is so delicate looking. Good luck with your knitting and that piece you finished is lovely- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joan, your daughter is so talented, she must get it from you. I love her jewelery, especially the ring, it is exquisite. Your shawl is looking great, love the color and all your treasures.
    Hugs to you Joan,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so intrigued by the chest! I can't wait to see more. Your daughter is very talented. I love the look of your shawl so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so many treasures, the jewelry and the shawl, all are stunning. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun post Joan -- and such lovely treasures you have.

    Beautiful ring and bracelet -- I love silver! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating photos. Your daughter's jewelry is amazing. I love the ring and bracelet. What a special treasure.
    Your shawl is going to be so pretty.
    God bless your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mystery always intrigues me . . .

    Love your daughters jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joan. Love the shawl, and your mandalas too!!!
    xo KRIS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your coffee set. I do remember coffee mornings! The shawl will look nice with your daughter's beautiful jewelry. Love the colors. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I love treasure and yours is so pretty the china is beautiful. Your daughters work is exquisite. Oh I truly enjoyed looking into your treasure box. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed seeing your treasures. The silver jewelery your daughter gave you is most beautiful..How lucky you are. Your Mandala is very pretty. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your treasure box intrigues me! Can't wait to see more. Beautiful china. And your jewelry is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Treasures forgotten are always fun to rediscover and remember, Joan, and yes do show more of what's inside your trunk. The bracelet and ring are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joan, I love the treasure chest! The dishes are so pretty and I love all of those goodies spilling out. Your daughter is very talented. Very beautiful jewelry. I laughed when you said you keep falling asleep. Happens to the best of us. I just finished binding two quilts for the quilt show our guild puts on annually. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas!