Tuesday 27 February 2018

Visiting!



Last week I took the opportunity
to visit my mother.
I was only there for a couple of days
but one afternoon
we decided to visit Broadway.


It was a really cold day
but the sun was shining and so……
We wrapped up warm
and wandered along the pavements of
this lovely Cotswold village.



Cotswold stone is such a beautiful mellow colour
and the older villages
look beautiful  with or without sunshine.



We also went into Stratford-upon-Avon.
Such a busy town
so much busier than when I lived here.
Still there's something about
the old houses.




Are you able to see how they spelt chemist
over the old chemist shop
next door to WH Smith.

If you look for it, there are many unusual things
apart from the obvious
in Stratford.


The town hall on the left
and in the distance the guild chapel
where the schoolboys... 
(from the school Shakespeare attended) 
hold special services.




In the afternoon my mother and I
drove through the older
part of Stratford.
Areas where I used to amble with my school friends
on a warm summer's evening.
I felt very nostalgic!!
Especially when we arrived at Holy Trinity Church.
The church where Shakespeare's remains
are buried.
With my friends we would often
one through its grounds.
Sometimes sitting on a handy gravestone
while we chatted.
Those were long warm evenings
and we were in our teens
happy memories!!




I wouldn't normally add this
but the carpet of snowdrops is so beautiful
I felt I had to!
This is the crematorium
where my fathers ashes are buried.




On the way home we drove past
the remains of Raglan Castle.
It's a place I've often wanted to visit
but I'm either in a hurry
to get to my mother,
or in a hurry
to get home to my husband!




It's been very cold here recently. 
One sunny day
last week
we went to a nearby beach called Gellyswick.
It's not a sandy beach...
but small pebbles.
So one cannot say that it's a tourist attraction
and it's mainly just locals
who sit on the step by the wall.

Do you notice the Napoleonic fort?
There are forts all-round the Milford Haven estuary.
In fact my grandfather
was posted in one of the offshore forts...
in the First World War.
It is how he met my grandmother!
While he and others
had been taken ashore....and
were walking in to Milford for R and R...
he met my grandmother,
a farmer's daughter,
sitting outside their house on a wall.




these three photos
make a panoramic view of the bay.


What else have I been doing?
Well, as you know, I have started going to a crafting group
and making albums.
I've actually made three 
and some other notebooks etc.


This is one I made for my mother.

Inside I placed pictures of her father and family...
as well as her close friends...
and the younger members of her family.
I suppose, thinking about it,
I should have taken pictures of the inside too for you to see?
Too late now, I've given it to mum.
I'm pleased to say she was absolutely delighted!


This is another album that I made
the top opens upwards,
and then inside two leaves open like a book.
I've left this one with my mother
and again,
I suppose I should have taken photos of the inside 
to show you.
Sorry!!





What else have I been up to?

Well, I'm still very much enjoying
working with my planners.
These three photos...
show pictures of an absolutely beautiful kit by
@poppywillowco
I love the way she works with foiling!

Recently I have just finished reading a book called
"the Duchess Deal" by Tessa Dare.
It was light and easy to read
and I loved it!!!
The characters were funny and just so believable
and got so tangled up in situations...
I couldn't put it down!

Well that's it for now.
I have to go back to my studying.
Latin awaits!!
Oh Joy!!



#theduchessdeal  #netgalley  #poppywillowco

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos - thanks for the visit to Stratford. I haven't been there in over 30 years and it doesn't look any different! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning. Instead of snow we got rain overnight so no scraping of car windows. Thank you for sharing Stratford and your hand crafted albums.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed going on these walks with you. Delightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see a post from you here, Joan. I love the pictures of your part of the world. I often feel nostalgic when I visit places from my youth--that sense of loss and change somehow.

    Hope you have a good week- good luck with your Latin studies. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. A field of Snow Drops filled up this visit . . .
    Thank you for this pictorial stroll . . .
    Your mum must have been thrilled having you as a treat
    and all the other treats to see and receive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Snow Drops are just so beautiful, a sign of Spring for sure. So glad you had a wonderful few days with your Mother, Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you live in such a beautiful country I have always loved touring with you.
    I did my DNA and it turns out I have most of my genetics from near you. We may be related:):)
    Good luck with Latin. Hugs B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it but I’m sure I would love where you live. Every place, I find, has a treasure to be found. Love it!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas!